Recent news reports have questioned the benefits of cleaning between your teeth. Please note that using an interdental cleaner (like floss) is an essential part of taking care of your teeth and gums. We recommend cleaning between your teeth once a day.
To ensure a proper floss, check out these 5 Steps to a Flawless Floss:
We know we should floss at least once a day, but not everyone knows the right way to do it. Use this step-by-step guide to find out how to properly floss your teeth:
1. Break off about 18 inches of floss and wind most of it around one of your middle fingers. Wind the remaining floss around the same finger of the opposite hand. This finger will take up the floss as it becomes dirty.
2. Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Guide the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion. Never snap the floss into the gums.
4. When the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a C shape against one tooth. Gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth.
5. Hold the floss tightly against the tooth. Gently rub the side of the tooth, moving the floss away from the gum with up and down motions. Repeat this method on the rest of your teeth. Don’t forget the back side of your last tooth.
The Dasling Dentistry staff is happy to chat with you about flossing and other types of oral care products will be most effective for you.
*Tips courtesy of ADA.org